· Use Pond Balance conservatively as it can harm your plants.
· Replenish water that is lost through evaporation. In topping off the pond, the amount of chlorine is inconsequential.
· Clean the white pre-filter pad inside submersible bio filters whenever the water flow is reduced. This will average about once a month, depending on pond.
· Consider Upgrading Your Filtration System if it is simply more work than you wish to do. (See website for details).
· Hail Damage is usually reversible. Wait a week or two to trim off the tattered foliage. That gives the plant some time to regenerate some new growth.
In Late Summer…
· In September, return to once-a-month feeding of your pond plants. Late September is the last feed for hardies; mid to late October for tropical plants.
· Continue running your pump 24 hours a day even after temperatures begin to come down as late summer thunderstorms can be catastrophic to your fish by causing an oxygen depletion crisis.
· Continue feeding your fish but switch to Tetra Wheat Germ formula (for cooler weather). Unless you are having an algae problem, feed them heavily as they are often ravenous as the weather cools, because they are preparing for hibernation. At least twice a day, feed all they will eat in 5 minutes.
· When fish feed heavily, the filter pad on submersible biological filters may need to be cleaned more often. Do this whenever you notice a reduction in water flow.
· In ponds with biological filters, your pump must run night and day for effective filtration. The only time you can turn this system off totally is if you decide to shut it down in the winter. (Clean it first!)
· Continue the maintenance of trimming spent flowers and old leaves from plants.
· For the best spring blooms, divide water iris NOW! Mid-September is the deadline. Do not divide water lilies after August. Wait for early spring to transplant water lilies, bog plants, and lotus.
· Know that summer thunderstorms can cause temporary water quality problems as rain effects pond balance. Avoid run-off into the pond!
· Was pond maintenance too much work this year? Add an Aqua-Pure external filter with a Pump Basket for the least amount of work!